Napoli have completed their latest piece of transfer business in the 18/19 Mercato. With their 5th addition this summer, the partenopei have added Right-Back Kevin Malcuit.
Who is Kevin Malcuit?
Kevin Malcuit was born July 31st, 1991 in Chatenanay-Malabry, France. From 2008, he was part of the AS Monaco youth system, and actually appeared 4 times for the team from the principality before venturing on to FC Chamois. From Chamois he went to Saint-Ettiene, where he played for 2 seasons before moving on to LOSC Lille last summer. His one season with Lille, in which they barely staved off relegation, was his final stop before his move to Napoli.
Where does he play?
Malcuit arrives as RB cover for Elseid Hysaj, and replaces Napoli legend Christian Maggio. He has played nearly 2/3 of his career games at RB, but also played as RM and as a RW in his past. He has quite the offensive flair in his pocket, and often takes players on as a RB.
What does he offer Napoli?
- Depth – Kevin Malcuit was truly bought in to provide depth and cover to a position we currently had none at.
- Offensive flair – As a RB, he offers quite the counterpoint to Hysaj. He is very good going forward, and his dribbling numbers for a defender are ridiculous(over 2 successful dribbles per game)
- Pace – Malcuit has blistering pace, and in turn can use this to his advantage turning defense into attack
- Crossing – Malcuit completes about 40% of their
- Late Bloomer – It seems Malcuit has been a late bloomer in his career, and might hit his stride a little later than others, which makes the investment in him at 27 a good move.
Overall, I think the 13mil pricetag for Malcuit is fair, and he will bring us quality in depth at a position in which we had none. Do I think he’s a world beater? No, but he brings flexibility and a different dimension to Napoli, which is exactly what Carlo Ancelotti wants.